Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Jacksonville, FL

My doctor has prescribed Amantadine 100MG and am afraid to take it. One side effect is that you can gain a large amount of weight. I have already gained weight from the other drugs I am on for PD. It sounds like a very strong drug.

March 5, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member 1012 Hi, I take 100mg of amantadine twice a day. I have not gained weight as a result of that dosage but my neurologist warned me that the veins would show on my legs in red ,which did happen. I also have dry mouth and dry nose and a slight loss of balance which are other side effects of this drug. I have an appointment with my neurologist on April 20 th and I'm going to see if there's an alternate medication that I can take instead of amantadine.,The research that I did so far did not provide any results. If you want to check back with me on the 21st of April I'll let you know what he had to say on alternate med. or some sort of medication cocktail that could be used instead of amantadine. I was taking 3 capsule originally and had the same problem of blurred vision.That problem went away when I reduced it to 2 instead of 3per day. Hope this helps

March 7, 2017
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I take the liquid form half a dose in the morning, half at night. I have had blurring of vision and weight gain. splitting the dose has helped with the blurring.

March 6, 2017
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

At sunshine: Good eve!
I have been on Amantadine for yrs. Never had problems with excessive weight
issues.☺

March 7, 2017
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Hi Sunshine, I have been on Amantadine 100 since i was diagnosed with PD (3 years ago ) and have not had any problems at all! No weight gain , nothing at all. For me it works, just try it.Gundi

March 6, 2017
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Hi Sunshine, I tried that drug a while back and could not take it because of some side effects. Just cannot remember what they were but it was not any weight gain. If I am not mistaken, it made my driving hard. I stayed on it a week and got off. You can always try it and get off if it does not work for you. You never know unless you try. Bean

March 5, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Worthington, PA

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Jackson, TN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In