Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
March 11, 2025
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members responded to a question about whether hypothyroidism and Parkinson's disease are connected, with most sharing that their neurologists... Read more

Members responded to a question about whether hypothyroidism and Parkinson's disease are connected, with most sharing that their neurologists found no direct link between the two conditions. Several members offered helpful guidance on managing both, noting that Synthroid or levothyroxine does not interfere with carbidopa/levodopa and can be taken either upon waking or at bedtime, separate from PD medications. A recurring theme was the importance of consulting your neurologist or movement disorder specialist before starting thyroid medication to ensure the best timing and coordination of treatments.

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s) for about 40 years. Been taking Synthroid. Was diagnosed with Parkinson’s October 2022. My movement disorder specialist/neurologist says there is no connection between the two

March 12, 2025
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I had thyroid cancer in 2011. Never thought my thyroid issue had anything to do with Parkinson's

March 12, 2025
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Synthroid or levothyroxine, does not interfere with carba/ levadopa. I take thyroid med 1/2 hour before my PD meds.
Upon awakening. Suggested by my neurologist.

March 11, 2025
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Yes Hashimoto's thyroiditis

March 11, 2025
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I do, but the neurologist never connected it in my case. I've had
hypothyroidism since my late 30's I'm 83 now.

March 11, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Round Rock, TX

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chesterfield, VA