Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
October 15, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

JudyAllen1: I disagree with AI on the "patience" advice. By actively seeking solutions instead of wringing my hands, I've been able to solve or improve most issues & happy to share. (I'm 96 in stage 4 of PK).

October 15, 2025
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

JudyAllen3: I had exactly the same problem, solved by buying a new, thinner mattress. Now I sit on the edge of the bed, feet on floor for leverage to push up and back, then swinging my feet over onto the bed, so that I'm on my left side in my sleeping position, making minor adjustments as necessary. The 12-inch mattress left my feet dangling and me unable to lift them all the way up onto the bed. A ten-inch mattress gave me the needed leverage. I bought the new mattress on Amazon (Prime) for under $500 delivered free the next day.

October 15, 2025
MyParkinsonsTeam

Getting in and out of bed can be challenging with Parkinson's disease. Using silk or satin sheets and pajamas can help make movement in bed easier since these materials allow for smoother sliding and require less muscle energy. This can be especially helpful when trying to adjust position or turn in bed.

Consider these Show Full Answer

Getting in and out of bed can be challenging with Parkinson's disease. Using silk or satin sheets and pajamas can help make movement in bed easier since these materials allow for smoother sliding and require less muscle energy. This can be especially helpful when trying to adjust position or turn in bed.

Consider these tips:
• Use bedding materials that reduce friction
• Place a pillow between his legs to help with positioning
• Consider using a bed rail for additional support when getting in
• Break down the movement into smaller steps Remember that patience is key when dealing with movement challenges. Take your time and don't rush the process. If needed, you might want to discuss this specific mobility challenge with his healthcare provider, as they may be able to recommend personalized techniques or assistive devices to make the process easier and safer for both of you.

October 15, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Weston-super-Mare