I am my moms caregiver. She goes thru a roller coaster every month. She can have several "good" days in a row when she gets around pretty well (with her walker or me). Then she has several days when she has such difficulty. During these days she is so down in herself. She wants to give up. I think she is still struggling with the fact that this is not her fault. She takes no PD meds by the way. I'm sure I've said everything in the book to try to help her but does anything be have any… read more
There are a lot of things she can do , short of taking meds. She can start having accupuncture treatments at least twice a week. Do meditation daily, do Tai Chi daily ( she can find videos on you tube ) walk assisted slowly (2 mph ) on a treadmill for 30 mins daily, as well as lifting some weights to strengthen her muctles, ingest some weed oil daily, look for a chapter of Rock Steady boxing in your area. All theses things will help her a great deal, until she is ready to try some meds.
First thought has to do with her doctor. Is he/she a primary care physician or a neurologist? There are many meds available. Has a variety of them been tried? From what I have read finding an informed doctor, the right medication, and lifestyle changes are all part of dealing with any disease, PD included. Also, it might be helpful to join support groups. I think there is one at Owensboro Health Region Hospital.
I understand it is difficult. Finding a compatible solution is difficult. Caregivers and medical personnel who understand, appropriate medication and equipment, and lifestyle adaptations, all must be dovetailed to suit the individual. In our case it is double, with PD for her and IBM for me it is frustrating. Don't give up. Praying for you and your mother. 🙏🙏
My apologies. I did not read enough of the background discussion. I do,hope you find an answer for your mum.
Sorry, but I really don't understand the reluctance to take medication that really helps most people.