Has anyone experienced increased emotional episodes after DBS? After the first DBS life was so much better, but after the second operation, life changed from the moment he regained consciousness. Help?
@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member
@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member How long has it been since the second surgery? I have dual stimulators and I was becoming very shut down emotionally at times. Due to a lack of dopamine. It runs not only your motor skills but emotions as well. They placed the first stimulator on my left because I had more problems physically and pain from distonia on the right. They help the opposite side of the body. Though I do have what they call same side phenomina. ( I notice changes on my right side when we change the right stimulator. and left for left.) Not usual. I remember the second side not helping as much physically but emotionally, I felt plugged back in! Talk to his DBS team! They can lower or change his settings. It can take a long time to find the right settings. They start you out at what they feel would be best, from experience. This is by no means were you end up. Then they fine tune each visit. It sounds like the first setting were off! He needs extra time and attention til they get him comfortable! If setting are to high ,I get buzzy. This is very annoying! Have you tried turning the second side down with his remote? hugs,Karen
DBS explain please! Thanks so much!
Deep Brain Stimulation, involving surgery to place electrodes in brain, signals to stimulate those electrodes is sent via a device implanted under skin on the chest. Usually, each side of the brain is done in two surgeries as needed.
MItzi sorry I can not respond to your question as i have not had this procedure to date..I can recall reading on this website some of the responses from people who have had this surgery and detailed some of the adverse affects that have negatively affected their lives following this procedure.. Lets hope you get some good responses regarding your question..take care rick
Thank you. Yes, with DBS first one side of the brain is done. Then if needed the other side.