Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have been diagnosed with a Parkinson's like disease - Multiple Systems Atrophy with Dystonia. My biggest challenge is the abdominal spasms that I have when standing or walking. They lock me in a "crunch" position as if I were in an aerobics class and in a perpetual crunch. I have to fight this continual spasm to prepare dinner at the counter or to walk from one spot to another. I am finding it debilitating. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and has found some relief.

December 9, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I appreciate you responding so quickly. I think my problem is different from your Mother's.
My stomach is fine. It's the abdominal muscles that spasm and go into contraction.

December 9, 2018
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

My mother had her stomach completely removed 30 yrs ago because of immobility. You need to see a gastranterologist. They can figure it out usually.

December 9, 2018
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Thanks for you suggestion regarding a backwards stretch. It does help a little, but my spasms are constant while standing.

December 11, 2018
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

In 2015-16, I can't remember 🤔 I had pain so bad I couldn't take the vibration of driving or even walking. It was so severe my doctor did exploratory surgery. Nothing. In 2017 I began these horrible events that began with pain in the lower left quadrant. Pain, vomiting, constipation and diarrhea, sweating profusely on the tile floor. It was in fact hell. It started with maybe 3 times a year but was quickly becoming more regular.
Oddly enough it has gone away since my diagnosis and taking carbidopa/levodopa. Brain/gut connection...oh yeah!

February 23, 2025
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Um starting to.worry about it

October 11, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Asheville, NC

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gloucester Point, VA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In