Connect with others who understand.

sign up log in
About MyParkinsonsTeam
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Torn Hamstring - PD Specialist Needed For Physical Therapy?

Torn Hamstring - PD Specialist Needed For Physical Therapy?

I tore my hamstring several weeks ago. I have seen an orthopedist twice so far, but I'm thinking this is something where I need to find someone who specializes in PD for physical therapy. Anybody have experience with what skills sets they looked for when they needed Physical Therapy? Did you go through your PD doctor to find someone suitable?

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member said:

As a physical therapist, I would say that for a hamstring tear that an orthopedic therapist would be the most helpful. However, as you continue your therapy journey, I would encourage you to continue to work with a therapist who is either LSVT BIG or PWR certified.

I have started a Facebook group that I will post weekly exercise videos for people with Parkinson's and help them with their movement journey.

If you're interested you can check it out here

posted 8 months ago
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member said:

LSVT is phenomenal! A certified PD therapist is the key.

posted 9 months ago
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member said:

My experience was true serendipity. After a hospitalization following several others,the home health care team agreed I needed more. Our local therapy site has two
PD certified LSVT therapists It is an intense 4 x a week 4 week program. It has made a world of difference for me . Even before POTs and PD diagnosis I was a klutz. I have learned how to get past freezing gait, orthostatic tremor , position my body and how to use my walker to
my best advantage. I still do P T twice a week and schedule exercises every day. My therapist frequently revisits the Big exercises when she can se I am struggling.
My wish for you is to
find a similar program with a truly dedicated staff.

posted 9 months ago
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member said:

It was a sort of a package deal. Here in AZ we have a huge othopedic group called TOCA., THE ORTHOPEDIC CLINIC ASSOCIATION THAT HAS DOCTORS, PAs, PTs, ORTHOPEDIC DEVICES. DID YOU OTHOPEDIST make a suggestion to you of where to go? Is it an orthopedic matter? Do you have a pcp( primary care physician?) Or perhaps an nternist who can help you make these hard decisions? I think that's the best way to proceed.
Good luck .

posted 9 months ago
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member said:

I completely agree with happy. See your doctor.
Love, Jeri

posted 7 months ago
Already a Member? Log in
MyParkinsonsTeam My Parkinson's disease Team

Thank you for signing up.