My PC wants me on a low carb diet to help control my blood sugar. I have read that with PD you should be on a low protein diet. So my question is how do you balance those two opposites?
JohnBudish2-My PCP has put in a referral to a dietitian, but I thought I would check in here while I’m waiting for an appointment.
With PD, it is more a matter of when you eat your protein than not eating protein at all. Protein can interfere with absorption of carbidopa, but you still need protein to maintain your muscles. Don't eat protein with your pills, Take them an hour before or an hour after eating food with protein. Some say that you should save protein for evening, but the body can only absorb a certain amount at a time, so spacing it out is generally better.
JenniferVining...thank you for your kind hug or what I call them "Warm Fuzzy"...if you wouldn't mind will you keep me posted on how you're doing...🤠
Protein actually slows done the levodopa from working
JenniferVining...hang in there ...since I have lost over 25 lbs, my neurologist said it was fine to drink one of those Protein Drinks...that being said I would suggest you check with your treating doctor...