Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hyattsville, MD
September 19
 · 
Reactions
MyParkinsonsTeam

Great question! Yes, eating meat and eggs after taking Parkinson's medication is generally possible, but timing matters — especially if levodopa is part of the medication routine.

Both meat and eggs are high-protein foods, and protein can compete with levodopa for absorption in the body, which may reduce how well the Show Full Answer

Great question! Yes, eating meat and eggs after taking Parkinson's medication is generally possible, but timing matters — especially if levodopa is part of the medication routine.

Both meat and eggs are high-protein foods, and protein can compete with levodopa for absorption in the body, which may reduce how well the medication works. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:

- Wait at least 30 minutes before or 60 minutes after a meal to take levodopa-based medications
- Consider eating high-protein foods like meat and eggs later in the day, when "off" time is less of a concern
- If iron supplements are part of the routine, take them 2 hours before or after levodopa, as iron can also interfere with absorption

A MyParkinsonsTeam member shared that avoiding food 30–45 minutes before medication, and skipping protein right before meds, made the medication work "a WHOLE lot faster."

It's always a good idea to speak with a doctor or registered dietitian to find the best meal-timing plan based on specific medications and needs.

September 19
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I have been living with PD for 30+ years. The timing of proteins are a science and unpredictable. I have been off for many hours if the timing is off. You have to just keep trying.

September 21
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member, It seems to depend on a number of factors, especially how the Carbodopa/Levadopa (C/L) medication is formulated and how the patient's digestive system works. I take Rytary which is an Extended Release formula and my system has always been slow so I really don't experience any difference no matter what I eat or when. As @A MyParkinsonsTeam Member stated, you have to experiment to find what works for you. If you have too much trouble, I suggest that you ask your neurologist about whether an extended release formulared C/L (Rytary is only one of many) or a slow release formula might be worth a try. Please also check with your pharmacist and your insurance to find out how much you will be expected to pay out of pocket before you even accept a free sample Before I qualified for Medicare with help from Medicaid with prescriptions, I bounced on and off of Rytary because when I suddenly didn't qualify for whatever temporary discount or patient assistance program I had been on, I believe it caused some irreparable brain damage. Because Rytary works so well, I was quickly dependant, but because it is a "Tier 3" drug, my cost was up to $1,000, even with the (un)Affordable Healthcare insurance! Now, the most I have to pay is $12.50.

September 22 (edited)
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I have found that not eating for a period of time both before and after taking my meds amazingly improves their effectiveness. On an empty stomach there is nothing to stand in their way of getting right to their job!!!!

September 22
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

It depends on how much one is eating after medications too. I wait one hour after taking medication. I eat light too. A high protein shake mixed with fruit is usually what I have for lunch. I change up the fruits and protein powder each day. Time management for breakfast and dinner are usually not an issue.

September 22

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Myrtle Beach, SC

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Barnet, VT

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rocky Mountain west

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In