Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
September 26
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Oh Bruce! Bless your heart. My HWP (husband with Parkinson's) suffers from RBD. Many nights I have just moved to the other bedroom. But I don't like to because I want to be there if he hurls himself out of bed (Four times, one with injury). His dreams terrify me and by the sounds he makes he is in distress too. I simply wake him up. Calmly with, "honey, wake up" and a caress. He wakes and can go back to sleep faster than anyone I know. Makes me jealous. 😊 Not really, I get back to sleep pretty easy. Hubby doesn't remember a thing in the morning no matter how many times I may have to do this. Doctor says it's okay to do this especially if Nigel drifts off easily. We have talked about and he's okay with me waking him. I have learned to be forgiving; after all it's not his fault. Talk with your wife about what to do. This is an adjustment for both of you. All will be well.

6 days ago
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I am sorry. That must be so difficult to deal with on top of everything else.

2 days ago
MyParkinsonsTeam

REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD) is a real and recognized symptom of Parkinson's, where the body physically acts out dreams during sleep. It can be startling and even frightening for a partner sharing the bed — so you're definitely not alone in this.

Many MyParkinsonsTeam members have shared similar experiences Show Full Answer

REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD) is a real and recognized symptom of Parkinson's, where the body physically acts out dreams during sleep. It can be startling and even frightening for a partner sharing the bed — so you're definitely not alone in this.

Many MyParkinsonsTeam members have shared similar experiences, describing how their sleep behaviors have deeply affected their relationships and their partner's sense of safety at home. The good news is there are ways to manage RBD and protect both of you. Here are some steps worth discussing with your neurologist:

- Medication options — Some medications have been shown to help reduce dream-enactment episodes. A MyParkinsonsTeam member shared that clonazepam helped them control acting out dreams. Always consult your doctor before starting anything new.
- Sleep safety adjustments — Removing sharp objects or hard furniture near the bed can reduce injury risk for both of you.
- Separate sleeping arrangements — Some couples find that temporarily sleeping apart helps reduce fear and improves rest for both partners, without it meaning anything negative about the relationship.
- Couples or relationship counseling — This can be a safe space to work through the emotional impact RBD is having on your marriage.

Bringing this up with your neurologist is really the most important first step — RBD is something they can actively help manage.

September 26
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I moved to another bedroom years ago. But when we travel we have to sleep on the same bed. My RBD outbursts terrify my wife. Now that I’m diagnosed with PD she asked me to move out. So here I sit in a friends in-law suite until I can find an apartment. My nerves are shot and I’m trying not to be so sad.

2 days ago

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In