Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lonoke, AR
January 25, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Hi Bettye, I am the queen of freezing. Every time I stand up or even if I'm already standing but need to turn around, I freeze. I've become actually thankful for it as I view the hesitation in my body as my brain's way of assessing the landscape before I step into it. My brain wants to be sure I have my weight evenly distributed between my legs and that I have a handle on taking a step forward. By handle, I mean that one of my hands is holding on to something--a table, a chair, a cart, my husband, the wall. This gives me more confidence to take the first step and then I'm good.

If you feel that you're stuck in a freezing position, try inching. Instead of a step, move your foot just a few inches forward, then do the same with your other foot. See if that helps.

Smiles,
Sandy

January 26, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

It has nothing to do with meds. It is just one of those individual Parkinson's things. Some have it; others don't. You can learn to move past it.

January 25, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

When my husband freezes I say "heels first". It works he comes down off his toes and continues

January 28, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member, Freezing is the fun side of Parkinson's.
Usually you don't know when it's going to happen. My sister Judy one time froze as when she was stepping into the shower. Scared me to death! I don't think that meds,have anything to do with freezing.

January 26, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

As PD advances most people will experience freezing episodes. Small spaces always triggers my husband but he can have them other places too. Calling out 1-2 1-2 like marching helps him many times. Sometimes none of the tricks works and he has to wait it out.

January 26, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Woking on Sea UK

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Santa Fe, NM