Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chicago, IL

How important is avoiding protein? Unfortunately it seems I prefer high-protein meals. I see on Parkinson’s websites that under high-protein diets Carbidopa Levadopa is not absorbed well. True??!? Please advise. Thanks!
Eva4

March 27, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

No food 1 hour before Sinemet
No food 1 hour after taking it
Especially protein

April 4, 2023
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I’ve seen many different time spans on this. I went with the longest, in an abundance of caution. I personally use the shortest, 1/2 hour before 1 hour after.I’ve never had any issues with that.

March 28, 2023
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

You can still eat protein. You have to eat it at least 1 hour prior or two hours after you take your medication, as it does interfere with absorption of your Cabidopa/Levadopa.

A high protein diet may also exacerbate constipation, as Parkinson’s slows down stomach emptying. This is called Gastroparisis. If you eat foods, like protein that are hard to digest, you may end up with serious constipation.

March 28, 2023
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

My neurologist has indicated I should take my L-dopa at least 1/2 hour before meals or 1 hour after meals. I always time my doses to be at least 1 hour before meals and should I need to take after a meal, 1 hour minimum after the meal. Protein and L-dopa are absorbed in the same way so there is a high chance that ingesting both at the same time would reduce L-dopa absorption. I think this works, at least it seems to for me. I haven't given up any of my favorite foods.

April 1, 2023
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Jim does the same as Dale, about 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner and an hour after lunch.

March 28, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fayette, MO

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glen Burnie, MD

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Grafton, MA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In