Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ft Lauderdale, FL
March 1, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

i have been meditating now for over 20 years now and when I do meditate every day for enough hours to have some concentrated meditations, I find it

the most noticeably helpful. When i went on a two week retreat, some of it in silence and with about 4-5

hours of meditation mostly a loving-kindness meditation as opposed to the mindfulness of breathing, it was as

if i had doubled the dosage of my medication and no dysytonia at all. I haven't been able to replicate that

experience since except for short periods of time. But i am also not meditating that length of time. But apart

from the reduction of physical symptoms, I find myself turning towards my experiences (the unpleasant

ones) rather than avoiding them. When I really experience them , I am better able to have a more positive

state of mind. I am also able now to better live in the moment, so that i am only suffering when I am actually

suffering. I don't compound it by brooding over it or worrying. I know i can't change a lot of my external

environment, my own body's aging and disease, and other people but i can change my state of mind with

vigilance and effort. i have not personally been able to decrease severe pain with meditation although i

know others who are able to do so..When in severe pain, I can not fight it, keep myself from panicking, and

relate to my meaning in life.. But do still find the pain sometimes almost unbearable
.
Because of meditation i am not depressed even though i experience depressing moments. .I am, for the

most part, positive and don't waste time with negative states of mind to the best of my ability. i stop the

story line. I would recommend a consistent meditation practice whether it be sitting or in movement like tai

chi or yoga for a healthier, happier life and for the development of wisdom and compassion.

March 1, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Well said May I add , Keep your sense of humour too.

March 5, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I do a yoga class a few times a week and find it helpful.

Psychology Today
20 Scientific Reasons to Start Meditating Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/feeling-it...

Washington Post
Harvard neuroscientist: Meditation not only reduces stress, here’s how it changes your brain
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-li...

Forbes
7 Ways Meditation Can Actually Change The Brain
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/0...

On the other side
Scientific American
Is Meditation Overrated?
The scientific evidence is scant for many of the practice's widely touted benefits
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-me...
Johns Hopkins University researchers carefully reviewed published clinical trials and found that although meditation seems to provide modest relief for anxiety, depression and pain, more high-quality work is needed before the effect of meditation on other ailments can be judged.

March 1, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Thanks Zanne. Can never lose that sense of humor!!

March 6, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
85018 phx az

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In