Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brainerd, MN
7 days ago
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I have had sleep issues since a year before my diagnosis. And being bipolar 1 I thought it was mania but it wasn’t. When I am manic I don’t sleep but maybe 1.5 hrs a night it’s terrible. But on the normal I’m lucky to get 4-5 hours broken sleep because I’m up and down all night. From what I’ve read it’s a common symptom.

5 days ago
MyParkinsonsTeam

Sleep issues are incredibly common with Parkinson's — you're definitely not alone in this. A poll of MyParkinsonsTeam members found that nearly 74% experience sleep difficulties most nights. That's a lot of restless nights out there.

There are several reasons why Parkinson's can disrupt sleep, including:

- Stiffness Show Full Answer

Sleep issues are incredibly common with Parkinson's — you're definitely not alone in this. A poll of MyParkinsonsTeam members found that nearly 74% experience sleep difficulties most nights. That's a lot of restless nights out there.

There are several reasons why Parkinson's can disrupt sleep, including:

- Stiffness, tremors, or pain making it hard to get comfortable
- Medications wearing off overnight ("off" periods)
- REM sleep behavior disorder (physically acting out dreams)
- Restless legs syndrome
- Frequent nighttime bathroom trips
- Nightmares or hallucinations
- Changes in brain chemistry, especially dopamine levels Poor sleep can make daytime symptoms feel much harder to manage. As one MyParkinsonsTeam member shared, "I'm a mess the next day after 1 p.m. or so. I don't know what PD fatigue is like compared to sleepless fatigue because I can't tell which I am affected by."

Some practical tips that may help improve sleep include:

- Keeping a consistent sleep and wake schedule
- Dimming lights in the evening and winding down before bed
- Getting sunlight and exercise during the day
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and heavy meals in the evening
- Avoiding screens (phones, tablets, TV) at bedtime
- Reviewing medication timing with your doctor — some members have found adjusting when they take their evening dose makes a big difference If sleep problems are frequent, worsening, or affecting your daily life or safety, it's worth bringing up with your neurologist. They can review your medications, help identify what's driving the problem, and refer you to a sleep specialist if needed.

7 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lindenhurst, IL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In