Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
March 1, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

@A MyParkinsonsTeam Member Yes mindfulness meditation has helped me tremendously in calming myself down by viewing and dissociating anxious thoughts in my mind. I read that it also has neuro-generation capability in the amygdala area of the brain, which is associated with memory. Overall very helpful!

March 1, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Yes, I bought frankincense, helichrysum, and vetiver specifically for PD, to be applied to the temples twice/day. I used them for a few weeks, but found them to be messy and stinky. The vetiver is particularly offensive to me, smelling like a cow barn. However, the lady I bought them from said if the smell is offensive to me that means my body actually needs that oil! I do put lavender on my neck at night sometimes and it helps me fall right to sleep. I just bought a diffuser and may try the three oils in that. Also, if I feel myself coming down with a cold, etc. I immediately use OnGuard oil, and it stops the germs in their tracks.

July 19, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Dianne,
Couple of suggestions.: try to get enough sleep - well, that's a hard one for those with Parkinson's. If you do establish a regular concentrated meditation practice on a daily basis, your body will need less sleep. Try not to lie down when you meditate; upright in a chair or if you are more flexible than I am, you can kneel using a special bench or sit in a yoga posture that is comfortable for you. You could also try a walking meditation or a mindfulness where, in the process of doing your daily actuaries, you constantly bring your attention back to your present experienced, fully aware of what your body, feelings, emotions, perceptions and rhougghts. You are also trying to stay present to your environment, land other people .Your focus should have breadth as well as depth and one-pointedness.
You could also meditate. With eyes open or even with your head or just yes looking up. Doing tai chi exercises before meditation will also increase enrrgy. When all else fails you could just fall asleep. Maybe that is what you need? There are sites for assistance and guided meditation. One really good one is wild mind.org by Bodhipaksha,. If that is not exactly the right Internet address, just google wild mind meditation Hope this helps, Viriya

March 20, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I'm very fortunate to work only 10mins from home. I come home over lunch and spend 15 mins deep-breathing and at least trying to meditate. Even if you can find only 10 mins during the day I think finding a way to get comfortable, close your eyes, use some earplugs and practice a deep-breathing technique you can revitalize and lessen the muscle rigidity and tremors

March 10, 2016
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

For everyone who responded to this question, thank you. It would be wonderful for some research to be done on the effects of mindfulness, meditation, yoga, breathing along with the drug advamcements and PD.

March 9, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Arkansas Ozarks

A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ft Lauderdale, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In