Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyParkinsonsTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

My husband is 58 years old, had to cut back to only 3 days of work because of Parkinson’s, currently shakes on his whole left side had rigidity on arm and foot and has started to feel the tight side shake
This is a two part question
1 - need to know if any can recommend weather we should file for disability, I hear it takes a long time and you always get rejected the first time.
2 - his toes on his left foot are twisted and is very painful and uncomfortable g F or him to walk ....… read more

October 28, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I would go ahead and get statements from Drs.on his condition and go ahead and file. Even if he is turned down the first time they will go back to his first file date and pay him back pay when he does start getting it. Does he have short term or long term disability at work. If he does he needs to check and see which one he would draw the most on. Hope this may help you out a little bit. If y'all ever get to the point where y'all gets to the point where you think or not satisfied with the diagnostics and think it may be more out there go get y'all a second opinion from somewhere else. Diane my wife has had it for 5 years and is not showing any improvements and have been on the same medecine and you couldn't tell any difference when she took it and when she didn't. I got her Dr. to send in a Referral to Duke Medical Center to see if i can take her up there to see if they can at lease help her some and make our lives a little easier. This is not an easy for the person or caregiver to go threw..

October 28, 2019
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I would definitely get in touch with an attorney it took two and a half years from me to get my disability a lot of it has to do with track record with doctors and the way they were things when they fill out the paperwork for Social Security I wish you luck it's a long battledepending on where you live I live in Florida where everybody comes to retire and the waiting room to heaven so was a lot of cases you will have to be off of work for one year I believe but I would definitely get in touch with a social security disability attorney good luck stay positive

November 8, 2019
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I initially had developed hammer toe in my left foot and right foot pinky. They are frozen and noticed beginning stages in three other toes. Podiatrist offered to surgically ment my hammer toes but we finally agreed on orthotics. I do exercises now to combat the other toes from becoming frozen in hammertoe position. Yoga has been very helpful for me. I have bone on bone in left knee, PD on right side, so gait has changed which has caused change in foot impact.
Now, all I wear are big Box/Toe shoes with orthotic inserts that accommodate hammertoe. Also, I cannot walk on hard surfaces, so always wear slippers in house or water shoes at pools. I just want to avoid surgery until I am certain it is necessary, and if I did it at the first sign of discomfort, I would have done it on six toes by now.

Good Luck

November 17, 2019
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

I would file for disability if I were him

November 4, 2019
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member

Has he got a neurologist that will help him with his feet? My husband has neuropathy in both feet his dr has prescribed something he just now (today) will be taking twice a day. It also helps with his depression.

October 29, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyParkinsonsTeam Member asked a question 💭
Mesa, AZ

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In